BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Another One Word Topic

When starting this blog I knew that I would hit a rut sooner than later.  Yes, even for me there are times when I just don't feel like writing.  Unfortunately, I never really figured out a game plan that would help me get back into the saddle.  I mean do I force writing something every day (a personal goal of mine) or do I say nothing until that feeling passes. This time I focused on the latter and that feeling to write did return in full force.  The downside is that I disappeared  for a week. I'm sure I will find a happy medium between the two.  Until that time comes to pass I simply ask that you bear with me until I figure it all out. 

Now with that being said, I do have the urge to write but I don't know what I should write about.   I liked the idea of the one word topics but I didn't have my trusty husband with me to give me one. I ended up finding an online random word generator.  So my topic today would be centered around the word ::pushes the button of the random word generator::  Paragraph. Paragraph? Yeah I know what you're thinking, now imagine having to write a post about paragraphs.  Well posts are made up of paragraphs...and you have to get your paragraphs in order for your point to make sense.  Oh, and sometimes when I write these posts I start with the middle and work my way outward if you can believe that...and you couldn't, could you?  Hrm, this isn't working is it? Okay I'm going to twist this a bit, and I can do that because I make up the rules.  I'm going to use this topic to address a comment that I received and to talk about words.  Because words make up paragraphs so I have every right to talk about them.

Words fascinate me.  Language fascinates me. Words are all around us and yet I've never really stopped to think about them until recently and how I interact with them on a day to day basis.  I mean just look at all the words that are splattered across this page and I hardly give it a thought.  Once you starting thinking about it words, are nothing more than carefully places squiggles.  Words by themselves are meaningless, and hollow; they are chaos. But when you put meaning behind them they are probably the most powerful tool a person can utilize.  Words are vessels that connect your psyche to something that is physically tangible and more importantly words convey your thoughts to other people.  Consider what these little squiggles can accomplish.  We have used them to convey emotions, make them sound like music, fought wars, gained peace and one of my personal favorites, shared knowledge and information.  The same words that make me tear up when I read Hallmark cards in the middle of Walgreens were used to draft the Declaration of Independence.  Think about that, there is nothing so versatile than our words.  They are the keepers of hopes, and dreams, and memories.  They tell of our triumphs and of our mistakes.  Without words we wouldn't have a history to remind us from where we came, and without words great minds couldn't tell us where we are going.  They are simple and beautiful and hold no expectations of those that wield them. Look at how I was able to expand my thoughts on one single word.  Look at how I was able to share my emotions with you by using simple characters compounded in a non-randomized order fused with emotion and intellect.  Words are amazing, I just never really stopped to appreciate them before.

The second topic is that I've gotten comments that I've used too many words.  My posts are too long and there aren't any pictures. Okay, I can concede that my posts are a bit long but trust me when I say that I am giving you an abridged version.  I've written a post and have taken out countless paragraphs simply because I thought that it needed to be shorter.  Writing is my catharsis and I do hope that people would not deny me that simply because they don't want to take the time to read it.  I am okay with the fact that you think that but just know that this blog is probably not for you.  Now why don't I use pictures?  Because I like words better.  Let me give you an example-

"As I heard the excited barks and pounding of four paws, I broke out into an uncontainable smile.  Soft pads rushing over the ground quickly covered the distance between me and where the catch was made.  Laughing, I bent down to retrieve the prize and I was met with eyes that begged to go again.  "Are you ready?" I asked and was met with bright expectant eyes and the "whump whump whump" of a tail.  "Okay, go get it," was all that needed to be said.  Well that and the extension of my arm which released pure joy for one of my greatest friends."

Now after reading that, its not hard to figure out what is going on.  Someone is playing fetch with their dog.  But this little blurb was written in such a way that I didn't tell you a lot of information.  In the end you supplied it.  What kind of dog was it?  Where were they?  Who was throwing the toy? Was it you? Was it someone else? What type of toy was it? What time of the year were they playing?  I'm sure that you could tell me the answer to any one of these questions simply because you supplied the reality.  I didn't tell you specific details, I only set the scene.  That is why I don't supply many pictures.  You look at a picture and the mystery is gone.  You are immediately confined to the standards and expectations that I set.  With this passage you could have said that this dog was a purebred "gnosdag" from the planet "dgho;aed3" playing with is favorite "genojad".  Or you could have said that this was Snarlax, one of the greatest battle dogs of all the Trinarlian Empire playing with a severed hand after a great conquest.  Both scenarios would have worked because you filled in the gaps.  You could have never done that with a picture.  So yes, am I verbose? Absolutely. Am I going to provide pictures? Not often.  I want you to use your imaginations and start thinking.  That is my greatest goal.

0 comments: